Since it began in 1955, the Rotary Club of Prahran has contributed both financially and with labour to communities near and far, and upheld the core Rotary values of Diversity, Fellowship, Service, Integrity and Leadership.
Prahran is a small club (but growing!) where individual members have plenty of opportunity to propose projects to support, to get involved in a range of activities and challenges whilst making new friends and enjoying the Rotary fellowship both at local and at interstate and international conference levels.
All our activities reflect the Rotary motto "Service Above Self" and underpin the Rotary priorities and areas of focus:-
- Promoting Peace
- Fighting Disease
- Providing Clean Water
- Saving Mothers & Children
- Supporting Education
- Growing Local Economies
while concentrating on the Rotary Five Avenues of Service
- Community Service (local)
- Club Service
- Vocational Service
- International Service
Some of our activities include:
- Collaborating with other Cluster Clubs (Malvern & Toorak) to run a weekly Busy Feet dance & movement to music hour (wednesdays) for local children with disabilities. One on one volunteers make it fun, give carers a break and enjoy the time with such wonderful kids.
- Running the very successful Bridge Club on Tuesdays at St John's Church, Toorak, to support Breast Cancer Research at the Alfred Hospital and other charities.
- Fundraising to build toilets in secondary schools in India, enabling teenage girls to continue their education after puberty, reducing their liklihood of early marriage and improving their health and career prospects. In conjuction with "We Can't Wait" NGO and Rotary Box Hill Central, this initiative is fast becoming a global project and is actively supported by fellow Rotarians in India and the USA.
- Supporting many activities of the residents of the Horace Petty Estate (DHHS public housing in Malvern Road South Yarra) with Safe Food Handling Certificate training, gifts for children at their 2015 Christmas party, providing equipment for their Supper Club and manning the BBQ at special on site events.
- Sponsoring needy children at Stonnington Primary School to go on school camps when their families are unable to afford to send them.
- Planting natives (in conjunction with Stonnington Cluster clubs, Rotary Malvern & Rotary Toorak) at the Glen Iris Park wetlands.
- Purchase of dictionaries and support of Toorak Primary School reading program by assisting with individual students in the classroom .
- Sponsoring the "Mulit Lit" literacy program at Our Lady of Lourdes Primary School, Prahran.
- Participating in international youth exchange, in 2014/15 hosted German student Tess Ackershott who attendied Presentation Convent and undertook Year 11 studies.( more about youth exchanges here).
- sponsoring young people to leadership programs and promoting the concept of service as a desirable quality amongst local secondary & tertiary colleges.
Recent examples include the following sponsorships:
2014 Benjamin Chan to attend the Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA)
2014 Carina Field to attend the National Youth Science Forum
2014 Swinburne University Students to build a solar powered racing car for inter uni competition
2015 Students to RLYA and RYPEN
2015 2 Students to the Model United Nations Assembly
- Supporting St. Kilda Mums with a donation to help them equip their warehouse with much needed shelving.
- Donation to Toorak/Prahran Cricket Club & Stonnington Primary School for purchase of uniforms
- Supporting Stonnington Cares initiative, providing relief for drought affected farmers.
- Sponsoring the Prahran Mission Art Show
- Participates in numerous programs of international aid, including active involvement in Rotarians against Malaria and Fourth Avenue in Motion (Popondetta)and Re-equipped Daru Hospital in PNG
- Created a study centre for the students living in the high rise flats (Horace Petty Estate).
- Participates in community-based vocational service programs through Operation Livewire and many more.
- Helps the Alfred Hospital in Fund Raising and supplies Rotarian Manpower for the Variety Clubs Special Childrens Christmas Party.
- Supplies Art Materials to students in the Soloman Islands, East Timor Kenya
- Designed and built playground area at the Horace Betty Estate.
- Members assist in cooking and serving school breakfast for children at Stonnington Primary School.
- Members assisted in the environmental tree planting project, and the book donation scheme, which has seen dictionaries donated to Armadale Primary School
- Has supported The school of St Jude in Tanzania with donations of money, school materials and sporting equipment. and of course details of
- Supports the Donations in Kind warehouse, where useful equipment is collected and shipped to projects overseas.