Rotary Prahran sponsors RIMERN!
Rotary Clubs from Prahran, Glen Eira, Southbank, Malvern and Albert Park are amongst the foundation partners for this Centenary of Rotary in Australia community service project, and they are currently searching for an approximately 500m2 warehouse with roller door for furniture truck access, in the South Melbourne, Port Melbourne, Richmond or Prahran areas, from where they will service families in need introduced by a host of local relief agencies and services.
Commercial rents in these areas are high, so Rotarians are looking for property owners or developers with premises that could be occupied at a peppercorn rental until the building is redeveloped or refurbished, and there are potential Land Tax savings for leasing to a not for profit such as RIMERN Inc.
The other ERNs began in rent free premises and had their trucks sponsored by philanthropic trusts or trucking companies, so the RIMERN committee is also on the hunt for a benefactor to sponsor their first furniture truck with hydraulic tail gate, to enable them to collect donations of furniture and household goods for rehousing.
The third, but definitely not last requirement, will be the volunteer army needed to collect, sort, repack, repair and despatch all the donations that are already promised. Of particular need will be volunteers with electrical skills to repair, test & tag appliances like fridges, washing machines, heaters and fans..... so if you are interested or know anyone, please CONTACT US here!
What sort of donations will RIMERN welcome? Furniture that will suit a small scale home, be functional and provide a dignified start to people starting over.....
- Household Furniture (in good condition)
- Whitegoods (in good working order)
- Electrical Appliances (in working order) – microwaves, TVs, toasters, kettles, lamps, heaters, fans etc. All donated electrical appliances must be electrically and functionally tested and tagged by us in accordance with Australian Standards. Those with cords that are frayed, torn or damaged are not accepted. EERN does not have the resources to be able to repair damaged appliances
- Beds / Mattresses, Bedding / Linen and blankets (in good, clean condition)
- Household Utensils – small amounts of crockery, cutlery and cooking equipment in good clean condition
- Non-perishable food items and toiletries
Items that won't be accepted by RIMERN include the following:
- single chairs
- “fifties style” Laminex tables
- corner units of any size
- desks other than small student desks
- large framed pictures and mirrors
- mattresses with ANY stain or mark
- sofa beds, futons
- old and worn mattresses even if clean
- spring bed bases
- foam or latex mattresses
- “saggy” mattresses
- King-sized beds and mattresses
- anything longer than 1.8 metres high or over 1.8 metres long that is not a mattress or part of a bed base.
- sewing machines
- electrical goods that are in obvious need of repair or look worn out
- electric blankets
- computers and related items ( these may be accepted by Donations In Kind, West Footscray)
- Cathode Ray Tube TVs (i.e. the big bulky old TVs)
- TVs exceeding 80 cms (side to side)
- radiograms, organs, speakers
- double “side by side” door fridges
- bassinets, cots, highchairs, porta cots, car seats, prams, pushers etc (please donate to St Kilda Mums)
- disability aids (please donate to RAMP at Donations In Kind instead)
- books/ records
- user consumables
- outdoor items
- anything that is fixed to a building e.g. stove, oven, dishwasher
- carpet offcuts